Monday, March 19, 2012

"Do Something" Day 23 - Comfort Zone

We all have one, a comfort zone, an invisible line that tells us "nope you've gone far enough, you are more comfortable on this side" Some of will go to that edge to get a little sneak peek on what's beyond and some are perfectly happy with staying 4 feet behind that line.
I blogged about possibly doing a "couch to half marathon" training program and eventually entering an event. I realized that I better start small, and try a 5K first! A 5K is coming up in Illinois at the end of April, and as of today I have 5 weeks and 5 days to prepare to run this entire 5K. This is so terrifying for me, I will be honest that I have and will try to talk myself out of this everyday during this training. Luckily for me, I have a very supportive husband and a community that stands behind me in this decision, and now that this has been written for the public, I suppose I can't back out now.
Today I ran out of my comfort zone! I strapped on my running shoes, the iPod, and my watch and set out in the gorgeous neighborhood we live in. I intended to just walk (briskly) for 30 minutes. As I turned around on my path about 15 minutes in, I got the nerve and jogged for a full 2 minutes. I walked for 4minutes and jogged again for a full 2 minutes. I did this cycle about 3 times. To some, this may sound super easy, but to me it was mentally and physically challenging. I have never intentionally ran before, unless I was playing a game, running after my kids, or in my youth...running from the cops (that is whole other story for another time!)
I felt winded, sweaty, and absolutely fantastic. I had a great playlist on my iPod and just went.
I will continue to step out of my comfort zone, everyday, for the next 5 weeks and challenge myself. Who knows maybe I will love this forever.
What can you do to step out of your comfort zone?
Think about it, pray about it, do something about it!
I can't wait to hear what you get to accomplish!!!

Blessings be with you...

No comments:

Post a Comment