Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Laissez les bons temps rouler- "Let the good times roll"

It's Mardi Gras friends!
Welcome to a day traditionally known for being a grand celebration, a chance for over indulgences with pancakes, donuts, the beloved King Cake, and the parties! Oh, the parties!

Lent begins with Ash Wednesday on February 22nd and last for 40 days, with a Sabbath on Sundays, until Easter on April 8th, 2012.

Lent has been practiced as a time for fasting, or "giving something up" for 40 days. Growing up Catholic (yup, with a big "C") this was a time where we had to choose something to give up for the 40 days, no eating meat on Fridays, and other rituals I didn't quite understand the meaning behind as a child. Can you relate?

As Jason and I began attending a Lutheran church, I remember when the Lenten season was approaching and pondering on what I would give up for 40 days. I chose sugar. Yes, sugar is a weakness and so I challenge myself often to not indulge in the "sweeter" things in life. Jason said ever so nicely, "You know, you really don't have to give-up anything" My reply, "What do you mean, that's what I was raised to do, of course I have to give up something!"
I did so well and about the 35th day into Lent, I ate some chocolate. Let me tell you something, that Catholic guilt, again big"C", shot right through me. "Why do I feel so guilty?" I thought about it for a minute, for a few months, for a few years and it came to me, with the help of a dear friend of mine. Why give up anything at all? Why not use this time to encourage myself and others to "Do Something". You can still reflect and praise God, and bring joy to others and not fuss about what you are giving up and how miserable that might make you feel. We're not focusing on what we can't have, but rather, what we can offer to others!

I encourage you all to join me on a 40 day journey to "Do Something!" Everyday I will post an activity, an exercise, a reflection, and honoring a Sabbath every Sunday with a technology cleanse.

Wait!!! Don't close out this blog yet, I mean it!

A technology cleanse every Sunday, to seperate yourself from the gadgets, the games, Words With Friends :) You may choose to not to go on facebook, Pinterest, Blog sites, emails, text messaging, iPods, iPads, watch television, you get the picture. Just you on Sundays. Pick up a book and read, go for walks, spend time with family, write a letter to a friend or family member you haven't seen or spoken too. Enjoy this time!

This invitation is for ALL!
Believers, non believers, and all denominations. There will be some posts regarding scripture, choose what you will each day.
Thank you for considering. Blessings be with you!

.......See you tomorrow!

1 comment: