Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"Do Something" Day 1

It's day one of our 40 day journey with "Do Something". The day isn't over folks.
My intentions were to post this early this morning, but a nasty headache turned migraine hit me today of all days... Ash Wednesday. After taking Lily to preschool, Isaac and I headed to Wartburg for chapel. As the morning progressed, so did the migraine. My most amazing and thoughtful husband came home after his last class, and took care of the children so that I could rest. Rest is what I needed, and as the evening approached I was feeling much better than before, not 100%, but I was able to attend chapel in the evening, which was led by Jason and our dear friend Minna.
Some of you are probably thinking, "Jeesh, is that all they do up there in Iowa? Go to Church?" Well, yes and no. As a family we attend church every Sunday. Jason attends daily chapel at the Seminary. Today was a unique circumstance. 1) It's Ash Wednesday, and I knew that we wouldn't be attending the church that we normally go to because of...2)It was also regional assignment day for the senior class and a special worship service was held this evening. I'm thankful that I was able to attend both, despite the migraine set-back.
So, all day fighting a nasty headache, I was feeling so awful that I didn't meet my own expectations of my goal for lent. I started to doubt myself, and talk myself out of doing this altogether. Surely the powers that be didn't want me to go forward with this, thus plaguing me with the migraine. That's it, I will throw in the towel! "Goodness Ivy, save the theatrics", is what I told myself and so here I am posting this blog at 9:30pm Central time, and what's left of Day 1 of "Do Something"?
This:
Take the rest of this evening to think about what goals you may have for this 40 day journey. Is it, reconnecting with a loved one, or friend? Or maybe a fitness or nutrition goal. Do you want to live a healthier life, and get fit? Is it a spiritual goal? Do you want to read more and watch less television? Take time to do something for yourself, something that brings you joy and fulfillment, or do something for someone else that will bring them joy or fulfillment. Do you want to be part of service projects in your area, to connect with people who are in need? Help tutor kids in school whose parents work and they don't have anyone to help them with homework. Invite a neighbor over for dinner and get to know them. This list is endless.
Think about it, pray about it, write it down.
I can't wait to see you all tomorrow!
Blessings be with you....

1 comment: